2019 May 30 - release 19.5
- Remove legacy NCWF pages
- Update ECFP information and PDD link
- Update TFM Portal links
- Improve decoded METAR/TAF dialogs for clarity
- Missing 'no data' in METAR data returned
2019 Apr 26 - release 19.4
NOTE: List of deprecated image URLs
that will be removed in a future release.
- AIREP data form input line wrapping on some browsers
- Update HEMS tool PDD link
- Correct logoff redirect location
- Label for CWAs toggling NWS Warnings in GFA
- Separate METAR decode option in GFA
- Help page header display issue
- G-AIRMET time synchronization
2019 Mar 27 - release 19.3
NOTE: Releases now numbered by year and month
- Graphical Forecast for Aviation (GFA) refresh
- Forecast data and imagery are all new. Rather than using a single
source for imagery, GFA now blends several models and human generated
forecasts to produce the best possible end product. This also allows GFA to
expand to the Caribbean, western Atlantic and Pacific in the future.
Data is presented on a 0.125 degree equirectangular grid rather than the
previous 13km RAP grid.
- Settings have moved to Map Options, an expandable menu
on the left hand side. Options are organized into categories reducing clutter.
As before, options update on the fly. The Map Options button or "Save &
Close" will remove the menu.
- Flight path overlay is now available on the map. Clicking on the path
button will bring up a dialog box where a path can be entered, consisting of
a comma separated list of 4 letter airport identifiers, 3 letter navigation
aids and 5 letter fixes. Clicking enter in the box will display the path as
a magenta line under the data.
- Optional map outlines indicate product spatial availability. The extent of
the gridded data is shown in blue. The extent of the G-AIRMET advisories are shown
- Radar has been extended to show the data over the Caribbean, Hawaii and
- Feedback has been renamed Contact Us for clarity.
- Extended TCF is now operational.
- Fixed the TAF text displays such that TAFs are broken by the word INTER.
This keyword is frequently used internationally in the same way TEMPO is used
- Fixed the METAR text display so that missing data will once again show
"No data available".
- Fixed issues in radar interactive map display. Radar uses the new
- Updated several legend graphics.
2018 Dec 19 - release 18.104.22.168
- Extended TCF - New automated extended TCF products available to 30 hours. These
extend beyond the 4, 6, and 8 hour regular TCF products. See the "eTCF" tab on the
TCF page (/tcf).
- New GFA Clouds - A new algorithm for GFA clouds gives better coverage and adds
few and scattered coverages. This is available on the GFA Tool (/gfa) and the
Aviation Clouds Forecast (/gfa/plot).
- Added a PIREP request page (/pirep/request). This gives users information on how
to request PIREP submit accounts. The PIREP submit link is now in the drop down under
TOOLS for all users. If you aren't authorized to submit PIREPs, this link will take
you to that request page. This should help users wanting submit capabilities get info
on how to get an account.
- Removed old GIS pages: /airep/gis and /gairmet/gis. Rather than the non-interactive
pages going to the gis specific pages, they go to the main page with gis turned on
(/airep?gis=on). If you have links to these pages, make sure you update your
- Added borough outlines to Alaska.
- Added captcha to registration page to prevent automated account creation.
- Fixed the satellite tile cache so it handles the new mode 4 from the GOES 16 and
- Disabled Flight Path 2 page (now a redirect to FPT v1). FPT v2 has not worked since
the web site went to HTTPS only. There is hope to get a fix for HTTPS in the future.
- Fixed issue on flight folder tropical text page where documents were mis-numbered.
- Fixed issue with ADDS dataserver where the schema location in the output XML data
was a broken link. This will fix issues with XML validation.
- Fixed issue with SIGMET page where the top and bottom selectors weren't working.
- Fixed issue with the wind/temp text output for the western Pacific.
- Fixed issue with username in the page header (Welcome: user) where it would be
in the middle of the interactive map if you go full screen.
- Fixed satellite imagery timing issues.
- Fixed full screen problem on satellite page. The display was offset to the right
in full screen mode.
2018 Aug 16 - release 22.214.171.124
Updated Web Pages
- Home page - update interactive map to use drop down menus. Updated look and feel of pages.
- METAR page - update to use drop down menus. Updated look and feel. Added temperature
and dewpoint to METAR board.
- TAF page - update to use drop down menus.
- Mobile page - updated to use new web infrastructure. Fixed links to data.
Legacy Web Pages Removed
- /adds - replaced with redirects to new pages
- Added support for mountain wave and LLWS specifications in PIREP submit form.
- Flipped southern hemisphere wind barbs to conform with international standard.
- Added support for heavy icing to interactive display.
- Added wind shear data to decoded TAF output.
- Removed saving of previous ID entry for METAR and TAF text output. Since browsers
support search and remember previous entries, this is no longer needed.
- Added ability to select CWAs by level.
- Added begin and end time to MIS on interactive popups.
- Added ability to use timezone for surface prog displays:
Use tz=name,offset (e.g. tz=EDT,-4) in URL.
- Added navigation overlays to interactive radar display.
- Added new CGI based data extraction scripts.
- Fixed issue with long user names wrapping on page header.
- Fixed G-AIRMET time synchronization on the interactive display. In some cases, the
time on the Sierra, Tango or Zulu data could be mismatched.
- Added work-arounds for missing database connections. Text will no display when the
web server is unable to connect to the database server.
- Fixed an issue with the FB wind display. The decoder wasn't handling the winds at
3000' over Alaska and Hawaii. Also, added in display of light and variable winds which
will show up as a calm symbol but the popup text will show the winds as L&V.
- Changed email setup for registration and password change so that it possibly won't
get put into a user's spam folder.
2018 May 29 - release 126.96.36.199
Updated Web Pages
- SIGMET page - update to use drop down menus
- G-AIRMET page
- update to use drop down menus
- new plot page which folds functionality from old /display page into plot page.
- Wind/Temp forecast page - update to use drop down menus
- HEMS Tool
- update to use new library code (now same as on GFA)
- updates Radar display label to refer to actual time in radar tilecache
2018 May 17 - release 188.8.131.52
New Contact Us Form
An updated contact us form includes a category listing.
Updated Web Pages
- AIREP/PIREP page
- Aviation forecast discussions - uses ADDS Lite files
- Standard briefing page - updates links, fixes broken links
- Ceiling and visibility page - update to use drop down menus, ADDS Lite files
- CWA/MIS page - update menu dropdowns
- ECFP page - uses ADDS Lite files
- Error page - new updated page
- Help and Info pages - general update to content
- Gate forecasts - update to release code
- WAFS forecasts - uses ADDS Lite files, uses drop down menus
Updates to Models
- Upgrades MVC Models to use ADDS Lite files for all pages
- New StationInfo model with config file. New regions adds: @USE, @USN, @USS, @USW, @USP which includes all sites that have TAFs, split by region
2018 Mar 16 - release 184.108.40.206
New Contact Us Form
An updated contact us form includes a category listing.
Updated Web Pages
- Area forecasts
- Aviation forecast discussions
- Flight path tool
- Flight folder
- Gate forecasts
- New parameter checking rectifying security issues
- Increased spacing on prog chart buttons for mobile users
2018 Jan 31 - release 220.127.116.11
Updated to handle new archive capabilities including access to the chat
New Radar Static Images
Added regional static radar plots for radar at low altitude, composite
reflectivity, and echo tops. The regions are the same as are used for the
US satellite images.
Sig Wx Enlarge Feature
Allows all images to be enlarged to full screen for better viewing.
Larger Surface Prog Charts
The surface prog charts are bigger (960x720) and weather contours go out
to 6 days.
Sig Wx and Prog Charts now have timestamps
SigWx and Prog charts are now date/time stamped to avoid confusion from
using non-timestamped files. At times, day old charts would display if
new ones hadn't overwritten the old ones. This also fixes the duplicate
valid time issue on the Prog charts. The display shows the latest chart
for each valid time.
New Integrated AIREP/PIREP Layer
New integrated PIREP layer that shows ALL PIREPs, not just ones with
icing and turbulence. This is a needed upgrade since many UUA type PIREPs
are issued for weather not related to icing or turb. This also shows the
mountain wave and LLWS PIREPs that before were dropped because they were
decoded as turbulence PIREPs.
New WIFS Main Page
Updates WIFS User web pages with up to date vendor and support
information. A new Users Guide (ver 5.0) is available. Update pending
web server reconfiguration.
New PIREP Submit Location
The PIREP submit page has moved to /pirep/submit. This is functionally
the same but has a new address. This was split out from /airep because
the functionality was separate for the code used to display PIREPs.
Bookmarks to /airep/submit will be redirected to /pirep/submit.
2017 Dec 21 - release 18.104.22.168
GOES 16 Support
All the satellite imagery on the website is new, now using the ADDS Lite
imagery rather than the old ADDS imagery. This was done because the old
ADDS code won't support the new GOES 16 imagery. Most of the static imagery
is now generated from a hi-res CONUS composite image rather than the old
GINI files (most of which are going away on Jan 2).
New Satellite Imagery
There is now a NWS color enhancement for the IR satellite imagery on the
website. This uses yellow (-20 to -40C), blue (-40 to -60C) and red (≤
There are also new Visible and Water Vapor images for the international
sectors. The vis/fog images are now new and cleaned up. Rather than having
large cloud cover symbols, a single dot representing the flight category
at the airport is displayed.
New 4km Global Mosaics
The raw imagery going into the interactive maps are based on 4km global
mosaics rather than the old 10km mosaics. This will improve the resolution
on the satellite imagery. The tilecache back-end has now been moved to
TAF Board Criteria Update
The TAF board has some criteria changes for LGA. Also weather such as
FU, BLDU, BLSN, VCFG, BCFG will be noted as "slight" impact on weather.
2017 Dec 14 - release 22.214.171.124
ADDS Lite Decoders
The old ADDS decoders have been replaced with a new set of decoders set up
for the ADDS Lite framework. There are a lot of bug fixes and upgrades
across all the decoders.
ADDS Lite Files
The back-end data processor (LDM) is now saving many of the ADDS Lite files
in preparation for the transition to ADDS Lite.
ADDS Lite Styling
This is needed to push out ADDS Lite web code in the future. The most
noticeable difference is that all the buttons now have the shaded and rounded
edges that we employed with GFA. This fixes a bug on iPads and iPhones
where the INFO buttons were not selectable.
ADDS Lite Turbulence and Icing Pages
The ADDS Lite turbulence (/turbulence) and icing (/icing) pages are now
using ADDS Lite web code. The images seen on the page now use the ADDS Lite
image files rather than the old ADDS images. The filenames are different
than the old ADDS files. Plus, there is a new icing severity and SLD combined
image. This is the first of the effort to merge the code bases and move towards
2017 Nov 15 - release 126.96.36.199
Removal of Legacy Pages
Many of the old legacy pages slated for removal last year didn't. This
is the second effort to remove the unsupported pages. The "/adds" pages were
removed or turned into redirects last year. Here is the list of pages affected
this year. If the action is redirect, the page is automatically redirected
to the new page. If the action is banner, the link exists but a banner says
the page will turn into a redirect by the end of the year. If the action is
removed, the page no longer exists.
Fixes to PDD Links
The PDD links on the pages used the "http" prefix. This is no longer
available on the products.weather.gov website. You must use "https" to
access the links. As a result, all the links on this website to the PDD
pages have been updated to use "https".
- Fixed a bug in the determination of the valid time on the /windtemp
- Fixed issues with the "Local Forecast" auto-completion code. This has
been converted to use the same code as "weather.gov".
2017 Oct 10 - release 188.8.131.52
End of CONUS Area Forecasts (FA)
The web pages under "/areafcst" have been updated to not show links to
the CONUS area forecasts. Since these products are no longer being generated,
the links won't show anything. The links for Alaska, Hawaii, the Gulf of
Mexico and Caribbean are still there since these products are still being
generated. To get equivalent forecast information, go to the GFA Tool
/gfa under the Tools menu.
2017 Jul 10 - release 184.108.40.206
Operational Status of Aviation Cloud and Surface Forecasts
The web pages under "/gfa/plot" have been updated to show the page is now
operations (experimental text removed). There are also updates to the help
pages to reflect the operational status.
Update to SIGMET Help Page
The page now reflects the updated definitions and criteria for SIGMET
Addition of Privacy Statement to bottom of WIFS Registation Page
A privacy statement has been added per NWS policy for the collection of
Personal Identifiable Information (PII).
- Fixed a bug in the Ceiling and Visibility CVA openlayers display for
- Fixed a bug with the user settings page where the setting wouldn't be
applied on some browsers.
2017 May 10 - release 220.127.116.11
Updates to PIREP Submit Pages
Based on a set of AOPA recommendation, the PIREP Submit pages
/airep/submit have been updated with a new
interface to input the location. This makes the location entry more
intuitive. Additional, quality control has been added to the full form.
A new security setup and logging has been implemented to track user
submissions and prevent the submission of inaccurate PIREPs.
TCF Issuance Time
An issuance time label has been added to the lower right on the
TCF page "/tcf".
Updated PIREP Decoder for Magnetic North
Changed decoder to use established correction for magnetic north at each
VOR rather than using current magnetic variation.
- Updated user administration interface to allow for easier selection of
- Fixed a bug in the user settings page to work around a cookie permission
- Updated DAP links to properly reference aviationweather.gov.
- Fixed bug in radar mosaic region selector.
- Fixed issue with possible malformed GeoJSON from CWAs.
2017 Mar 23 - release 18.104.22.168
New GFA Static Image Page
Finished interface to GFA static images "/gfa/plot" on the website. The
images are now named the Aviation Cloud (ACF) and Surface Forecasts (ASF).
Added help page for static imagery.
Added Time Buttons to TAF Board
The TAF Board now has selectable arrows in the time header to advance and
Added DAP Links to Website
Added links to website layout for DAP (Google Analytics) to help monitor
- Updated text on METAR symbols page "/metar/symbol" to match NWS
documentation for each weather type.
- Updated ECFP page so it doesn't refresh the whole page when time is changed.
- Updated text on the top of the standard briefing page.
- Updates for user administration page.
- Fixed a few small bugs in awc_openlayers.js library.
- Fixed a bug for NWS Hazards JSON output.